St. Didacus Church


Go to content

Church History

About Us

  • 1926 - Fr. Thomas Murphy is directed to establish a new church in San Diego, to be named St. Didacus.


  • 1927 - Construction of the church and rectory is completed and dedication of St. Didacus takes place in October. The stained-glass windows designed by Fred Wieland are considered priceless today.


  • 1939 - St. Didacus School was dedicated on September 17th. It had six classrooms and 160 students. Sister Rita Jane is named the first principal.


  • 1941 - The first graduating class of twenty 8th grade students (June 13th).


  • 1969 - Fr. Charles Young brings to St. Didacus the Sisters of Mercy from Tuam County, Ireland to staff the school. Sister Cyril becomes the new principal on August 16th.


  • 1977 – Monsignor Patrick O’Dowd becomes pastor at St. Didacus. He added the bell tower to our Parish church.


  • 1984 – Bishop Leon Maher blesses the new Parish Hall on December 19th.


  • 1999 – Father Michael Booth becomes the first of four Michaels, followed by Fr. Michael Robinson, Fr. Michael Baumgardner, and our present Pastor, Fr. Michael Sinor.

Sub-Menu:


Back to content | Back to main menu